Classroom Snack Program
|"Thanks for all your efforts to get the spinach - the kids absolutely LOVE it! What I love is how shocked many of the adults are about it!"
-Snack Classroom Teacher
Each week, REAP Farm to School works with volunteers and the Catholic Multicultural Center's job skills training program to wash, cut and package hundreds of pounds of locally grown fruits and vegetables. These snacks are then delivered to Madison elementary schools to be served as a snack in students' classrooms.
Snacks have included apples, carrot sticks, kohlrabi sticks, sweet potato sticks, cherry tomatoes, pepper strips, green beans, spinach and asparagus. Kids love our snacks; teachers love the educational "Snack Bites" material that come with delivery; and farmers love knowing their produce is providing healthy snacks for kids
Over 4,500 Served!
REAP is currently preparing and serving our weekly local snacks to over 4,500 students in eleven of Madison’s lowest income elementary schools: Leopold, Lincoln, Glendale, Schenk, Lakeview, Falk, Lindbergh, Sandburg, Emerson, Mendota, and Nuestro Mundo. In the 2012-2013 school year, this program generated over $33,000 in sales to local farmers, and more importantly it provided more than 9 tons of fresh local produce to children who otherwise may not have access to fresh local fruits and veggies!
The following are examples of 'Snack Bites,' materials that provide information about the farm where the snack came from and nutritional information that can be shared with students as they enjoy their snack.
- Apple Snack Bite (pdf)
- Beauty Heart Radish Snack Bite (pdf)
- Bell Pepper Snack Bite (pdf)
- Broccoli Snack Bite (pdf)
- Carrot Snack Bite (pdf)
- Cauliflower Snack Bite (pdf)
- Concord Grape Snack Bite (pdf)
- Eating With The Seasons (pdf)
- Farmer Profile: Don's Produce (pdf)
- Farmer Profile: Ela Orchard (pdf)
- Green Bean Snack Bite (pdf)
- Holiday Snack Bite (pdf)
- Kohlrabi Snack Bite (pdf)
- Life In The Soil (pdf)
- Farmer Profile: Mammoth Produce (pdf)
- Plant Propagation (pdf)
- Pollination Snack Bite (pdf)
- Farmer Profile: Primrose (pdf)
- Red Pepper Snack Bite (pdf)
- Root Vegetable Snack Bite (pdf)
- Sweet Potato Snack Bite (pdf)
- Buy Fresh, Buy Local
- Farm To School
- Southern Wisconsin Farm Fresh Atlas
- Food For Thought Festival
- Pie Palooza
- Burgers and Brew
- Local Harvest
- Spring Gala
- Programs & Events